Tuesday, February 15, 2005

Lent

I read this entry on another site:

"What did I give up for Lent..................

L E N T ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

The Lord says he desires OBEDIENCE not SACRIFICE.

Yes we are called to give up something. I think Romans says it best...

I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service. And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God. (Romans 12:1-2 KJV)

Do want to sacrifice....Give him YOUR ALL, EVERY PART OF YOU. Not just for 40 days, but for your life. That is his desire and nothing else. Did you notice it said REASONABLE SERVICE (The least your can do)."


Hmmmm. "Present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God." Reading this, I'd say this sums up the thoughts I've always had about recreational drug use. I can't fathom putting that stuff into my body, which is a temple of purity in my eyes. Isn't that odd?

I originally gave up sodas for Lent, but fell off of that within two days. Ooops!

Attempting to think of myself as Christian in this hyperconservative world is really awkward. I get funny looks and people tell me that my more liberal interpretation of Christianity is wrong, and they are the ones who are right.

Perhaps BOTH parties have missed something.

But since reading "Original Blessing" I don't think so.

I can't help but think that, despite the first of the Big 10, God loves variety. I just can't see myself following a God that feels so weak and threatened in the face of other deities.

I wonder if I have not so much Jehovah in mind as the Elohim, whenever I think of God. I think of God as the benevolent Creator, in whose image all people are made.

I should not be afraid to express the mystical vision I had, very similar to Saul of Tarsus on the road to Damascus, similar to Hildegard of Bingen, Julian of Norwich and so many other mystics.

Sometimes I pity the writer who posted the entry above. He hasn't really seen the dynamic, living God. He's a little too similar to the Pharisees if you ask me. Worried about the LETTER of the Law rather than the SPIRIT. He just...doesn't get it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home