Wednesday, March 09, 2005

Loss

I just found out from Carie today that one of the people from church was killed in a bicycle accident Monday night.

Here is the text of the email Marni sent out on Tuesday, that Carie forwarded to me:

Members of our beloved community:

It is with the deepest sadness that I send you this email. Throughout the day, we have been attempting to contact as many people as we can so that as few of you as possible will have to learn this sad news by email.

Last night (Monday), Sharon Hiett was riding her bicycle and was hit by a car, falling from her bike and hitting the back of her head on hard pavement. She has not and will not regain consciousness. Many difficult decisions were made today. Sharon had signed an organ donor card; the process of evaluation and matching has begun and will likely be complete within 24 hours.

A memorial service has been scheduled for 2pm this Saturday at the church. In lieu of flowers (which Sharon would have considered a waste of money!), the family has asked that donations be made to the church, with the designation "Sharon Hiett Fund" on the check. Money collected will be earmarked for capital improvements in the Religious Education complex.

Many of you will want to do something. Cards are, of course, always welcome and helpful. I would also invite you to bring food to share for the reception after the service. Sharon would never want people to leave hungry!

Please hold Russ, David and Jonathan in your hearts during these difficult days.


I knew Sharon but not well. Mostly my heart just utterly breaks for her family. But on the other hand I'm so deeply thankful that there is going to be a huge, huge wave of support from the church for them. This is the kind of tsunami that is good...an outpouring of love and support and comfort during this period.

1 Comments:

Blogger brainwise said...

Reading this was strange. Last Monday, my father-in-law passed away. And my wife's name is Sharon.

I blogged my reaction to the news last Tuesday. I'm glad I used the space to write about him, because on the very next day, Sharon's mother asked me to conduct/lead the memorial service. With the blog entry started, I was already on my way to an appropriate eulogy.

All might and main to you and yours during your time of loss.

2:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home